Slip and Fall Accidents
Our Attorneys Offer the Best Legal Advice You Can Get
Given New York’s climate and size as well as structural and logistical challenges, it’s almost like slip and fall accidents are waiting to happen. Fortunately, if you or a loved one has suffered because of a slip and fall accident, you might be liable to receive compensation for your damages.
Common Damages in Slip and Fall Accidents
People who suffer injuries because of slip and fall accidents in New York may receive damages for economic and non-economic reasons.
- Medical expenses. These may include expenses incurred in hospitalization, visits to doctors, medication, and therapy, as well as other treatment-related costs.
- Lost wages. Damages can help cover lost wages due to being away from work while recovering from injuries. This can be short- or long-term.
- Pain and suffering. It might be possible be seek damages for the mental and physical pain and suffering that results from a slip and fall accident.
What You Should Do After a Slip and Fall Accident
Safety should be your top priority, so in case there’s a serious injury, pay attention to it before you do anything else. Here are the typical steps to take.
- Get medical attention
- Determine the cause of the accident
- Take photos of the scene
- Get witnesses’ contact details
- Report the accident to the property owner/manager
- Limit communication with the property owner/employees
- Document the event as best as possible
- Contact your attorney
Common Reasons for Slip and Fall Cases in New York
New York is no stranger to slip and fall accidents, and here are the most common reasons.
- Ice and snow
- Storefront spills
- Wet entrances
- Slippery floors
- Poorly maintained stairwells
- Poorly lit stairwells
- Poorly maintained passageways
- Uneven sidewalks
- Torn carpeting
- Loose mats
- Cluttered floors
- Improper footwear
Statute of Limitations in New York
The statute of limitations that applies to personal injury cases also applies to slip and fall accidents. If you miss this deadline, the court will simply dismiss your case. As per New York State laws, anyone injured in a slip and fall accident needs to file a lawsuit within three years from the date of the incident. The same deadline also applies in case you wish to seek compensation only for damage to property (for example, your cell phone broke because of the fall).
Why Seek Legal Help?
If you have been involved in a slip and fall accident and are dealing with an injury, you may already know that the injury comes with costs in different forms. While you might have to account for steep medical bills and loss in income, the pain and suffering you go through is something that’s hard to put a price on. Fortunately, an experienced personal injury attorney can help you navigate through the varied intricacies of your case with ease.
Why Choose Us?
Our highly experienced attorneys have handled different types of slip and fall cases, helping scores of people receive due compensation. We do our best to recover damages for our clients so they may get the peace of mind they deserve.