Uber and Lyft Accidents
Get the Best Personal Injury Attorneys in New York to Handle Your Case
Uber and Lyft accidents can lead to devastating consequences for riders, and there appears to be no slowing down in numbers. If you or a loved one has been involved in an Uber or a Lyft accident in or around New York, bear in mind that the state’s laws might work in your favor.
Who is Liable for an Uber or a Lyft Accident?
According to New York state laws, drivers of ridesharing companies such as Uber and Lyft should have their own car insurance policies that meet/exceed the minimum limit prescribed for liability coverage. Further, companies need to provide additional coverage to their drivers in New York. However, liability depends on different factors.
- Companies don’t have to provide coverage if drivers are not logged into their ridesharing apps.
- Companies have limited liability when drivers have logged in but haven’t yet accepted ride requests.
- Companies’ and drivers’ own insurance policies will provide coverage when drivers have accepted rides or are transporting passengers.
- Companies’ insurance policies will cover accidents involving underinsured/uninsured motorists/pedestrians.
Common Causes of Uber and Lyft Accidents
Some of the most common causes of Uber and Lyft accidents across the United States include:
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence
- Disregarding traffic rules
- Inadequate training
- Poorly maintained vehicles
- Navigating unfamiliar territory
- Driver fatigue
What Should You Do After an Accident?
Keeping in mind safety, you need to move out of further harm’s way by stepping away from moving traffic. Then:
- Check for injuries
- Call 911 if you’re injured
- Call the police in case of considerable damage
- Take pictures of injuries and the accident scene
- Collect as much evidence as you can
- Exchange insurance information with the other driver
- Collect contact details of witnesses
- Inform the ridesharing company
- Contact an attorney
Reporting a Rideshare Accident
If you have been involved in an Uber accident, you may report the same to the company by using its Safety page. You need to complete the Third Party Incident Notice. Anyone who has been involved in a Lyft accident may report it through Lyft’s Help page. You are required to enter your phone number, and you may expect to hear from its Accident Reporting Team soon.
What to Say to the Ridesharing Company?
When you’re speaking with a representative of a ridesharing company, be watchful about what you say because it’s akin to talking with an insurance company’s representative shortly after an accident. All you need to provide is basic facts about the case, and not a detailed description. This, you may do, after taking advice from your attorney.
Why Choose Us?
We have some of the most highly experienced personal injury lawyers in New York on our team, and we know completely well that every case we represent is equally important. We are experts in handling all types of Uber/Lyft accident cases, and we aim to pin liability by providing adequate evidence. With our highly skilled and aggressive-when-required attorneys by your side, you stand a much better chance of receiving the compensation you rightly deserve.